Kiyo
Lolikon
Loli
Level: 29

POST EXP: 17176
LVL EXP: 139580
CP: 976.4
VIZ: 24040

Bethesda Game Studios. This was your best bet. You wanted a new game to play? Find a game made by them. Didn't know if something would be good or not? Look for Bethesda on the box. It was the comfort zone. They made fun games, good stories, interactive gameplay, amazing ideas. Bethesda was revolutionary in the Western RPG genre. But what happened?

Todd Howard has been a game designer for Bethesda since 1994. He brought produced and designed the Elder Scrolls series as we know it today. He designed and directed Daggerfall, Redguard, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and all the DLCs for their respective games. We all know and love these games grew up on some of them even.

Todd also was in charge of the Fallout series once it was acquired from Obsidian Entertainment and Black Isle studios. He revolutionized what Fallout would become. Transforming it from a isometric turn based rpg to a first person rpg akin to the previous games he worked on. I feel like this might have been the misstep.

While Bethesda is well known for the Elder Scrolls and Fallout, the Fallout games are kind of lack luster once it fell into Bethesda's hands. Fallout 3 was good, but nowhere near as good as Fallout New Vegas which Todd Howard and Bethesda were not in charge of. That was given to the original creators of Fallout, Obsidian Entertainment. Following that, Bethesda took charge again and made Fallout 4.. this was a terrible game. It had great gun play sure. They solved that. But that was about it.
The story was flat. There was little to none arcing stories. Everything tied back to the main quest instead of being it's own thing. You were given your own backstory; no creativity. You were given a voice so you cannot identify with your character, etc.

Everything about a good RPG was taken away from Fallout. To expand on this, what does Bethesda follow up Fallout 4 with? Is it a new IP? Is it The Elder Scrolls 6? Nope! It's a multiplayer Fallout game called Fallout 76 and retconns almost everything that was already established in the Fallout lore! Hooray!

Combine those choices and their shady business practices of late and it seems that Bethesda has fallen into the pit that companies like EA, Activision, and Konami have fallen into. Companies who's names held merit to the product they created now have let the consumers down because all they cared about was money. Not the consumer, not the product.

They just wanted another game to push out in order to make profit off of one of their popular IPs and the dedicated fans to these franchises were not happy about it. It certainly shows with the flack that they're receiving from every angle.

And now to put the cherry on the cake, it looks like Jeremy Soule isn't composing the music for The Elder Scrolls VI? Shame.
Site Staff
Video Game Character Manager
minuano is my favorite being in the universe

Affected by 'Laziness Syndrome'

Last Post: 86 days
Last Active: 4 days

Post Rating: 2   Liked By: jnisol, Minuano,

Related Content

Content Coming Soon

01-11-19 06:41 PM
Link | 110 Words

Mecha Leo
Level: 63

POST EXP: 186808
LVL EXP: 2060915
CP: 6702.0
VIZ: 147075

I'm actually impressed that Bethesda made this 180 into the pits of Tartarus. You have them milking Skyrim for everything its worth, then you get the hollow Fallout 4, and now, with Fallout 76, there has been so much going wrong I find it almost impossible to believe they could screw up a game THIS MUCH. They can't go a whole week without something new and concerning happening. For me the real nail in the coffin is that, in light of this disaster, Obsidian Entertainment announces The Outer Worlds, basically saying "hey, remember when we made New Vegas? We did, so let's all just forget Bethesda and have a party!"
Trusted Member
What does it mean to lose all meaning? That's not a goth thing, it just sounds like something that would make a robot explode.

Affected by 'Carpal Tunnel Syndrome'

Last Post: 18 hours
Last Active: 11 hours

Post Rating: 2   Liked By: jnisol, Kiyo,

01-12-19 10:16 PM
Link | 49 Words

zanderlex
Poor Davideo7
Level: 228

POST EXP: 1506144
LVL EXP: 179498779
CP: 119800.2
VIZ: 3826359

I just look at what they did with Fallout 76 and get turned away. I feel like they tailored this game to a very specific group of people and didn't care for the rest of the fandom.

They messed up as much as Sony did with the PlayStation Classic.
Local Moderator
Content Adder
Sergei's Mustaches

Affected by 'Laziness Syndrome'

Last Post: 1 day
Last Active: 1 day

Links